open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

12.22.2006

I am...Minister of the Month

This month I have been writing articles for the local paper, The Mount Airy News. Each Friday they publish a 500-700 word column written by me. In some ways it is a honor, in other ways it is just an annoying thing the local chaplain asks ministers to do to get it off his back. For me, it has been great practice. I have never done anything like this before. I wish I could send you a link, but the Mayberry paper doesn't run any content for free, so I will simply cut and paste for you.

The article below was published in the December 1st edition of the Mount Airy news. The title was: "Holiday Prayer."




Holiday Prayer

Every year as the calendar pushed us through Thanksgiving and on towards the Christmas season, a brief prayer of some sort emerges into my consciousness. Though this practice is something that happened for many years, it is not so official that I had it written down or shared it with anyone. It was simply a point of focus that existed in my mind throughout the holiday season. Usually the prayer was related to understanding the birth of Christ a little better. I would ponder the incarnation during commercial breaks of football games, while waiting in line to pay for “the perfect gift,” or preparing to ship off my packages to family. But this year, I will have a prayer that came from a strange place.
Several months ago, a friend recommended that I listen to the most recent Green Day CD. As a musician, he appreciated the album for its musical quality and songwriting creativity. His youth group had some kids in it just like “the beat.” Not long after receiving this recommendation, I happened upon a copy of the disc in a consignment store in Winston-Salem. Since the investment would only be $5, I paid my money and looked for a chance to spend an hour with my new CD.
It was a November morning when I finally made time for Green Day. I expected, and somewhat enjoyed, the loud guitars and punk vocals, but I did not expect inspiration for this year’s holiday prayer.
In a song titled “Holiday” the singer chants: I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies/ this is the dawning of the rest of our lives…on holiday. It was strange how quickly I connected this song lyric to a prayer for the holiday season.
Every night I see commercials for iPods, Old Navy sweaters, radio controlled toys, and Lexus sedans with big red bows. Each of these really cool things promises to make this the “December to Remember,” but is getting the right gift going to truly make this a December to Remember?
If I tried hard enough, I am sure I could remember many of the Christmas gifts I have wished for over the years. I could also remember many of the gifts I gave to friends and family over the years. I love giving gifts. I quite enjoy getting gifts as well. But, as you and I well know, it is far too easy to get caught up in the gifts rather than remembering why this even is a holiday season.
This holiday season, at its core, is about God’s gift us in the person of Jesus Christ. We give thanks for that. We give gifts to others to practice offering in a way similar to God’s offering. But, to believe that a Lexus with a giant red bow, an iPod nano, or new jeans will truly fulfill us is simply a “hollow lie.” I pray this Christmas that my mind and spirit will differ from hollow lies. I pray this Christmas that time with loved ones will help me to see beyond hollow lies of materialism. I pray this Christmas season that the gifts I give and receive will be shared with the spirit of God’s many blessings to us. I pray they remind us of the many ways God gives to us, the most significant of which is the gift of our Savior, the baby Jesus.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com