open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

10.02.2006

mysteries of the univerise

There are many questions in life that we cannot understand and can only stab at their resolution. Take for example:
why does the guy outside the sporting event who WANTS tickets never talk to the guy right across the street who HAS tickets?
or
when you drop your chapstick in the parking lot, how long can it set there until it simply becomes parking lot chapstick?
or
Why do you have to write in the tip before you actually get your food when you order take-out at chilis, outback, etc...


But this is the lastest one that has me is:
How much do you tip at SONIC, americas drive in?

This is a tough one. You see, SONIC is a drive in and you expect service to your car. But all the carhop really does is brings out your food and takes your money. It is an antiquated drive-through system. And, becuase we are nice people we feel compelled to give these fast food delivery people a tip.

Usually, when I go to Sonic and the bill comes to something like $4.29, it is simple enough to give a $5 and call it even. This gives a 15% tip for something that took the carhop 27 seconds to do. Thats a pretty good return. BUT, sometimes it comes to $7.73. Then I rummage around in the car for an additional $.50, or, if I dont feel like being cheap, I might give them a $1.

BUT, there is a problem. Have you ever noticed that no matter how much you tip at SONIC, the response is always the same, indifference? Why is this?

If each carhop got $.50 for each trip to a customer, in a given day, they would clear an additional $20-$40, tax free, on top of the minimum wage+ they are paid. This would come out to something like $10/hour for a 5-6 hour shift. That is fantastic money for a high school or college student working pt fast food.

Yet, I give a $1, no response. I feel like a jerk for wasting a $1 on a glorified window operator. I give $.25, no response. I feel like a jerk who could only tip a quarter to the poor high school kid while I wasted $.75 in gas 'cause I didnt want to shut the car and a/c off (c'mon its 100 degrees outside and I needed a 32oz milkshake {note the absurdity plese}).

SO, chalk SONIC up to mystery of the universe and file it with the chapstick problem. We will never know. AND if you work at SONIC, just tell the carhops to be thankful for my handful of nickels and dimes. I was going to buy a bouncy ball with that change.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com