open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

5.17.2006

surrounded
















I've been surrounded.
Let me explain. (this one is a little long, but potentially worth it)

This week I am in ATL for the Festival of Homoletics. For those of you that don't know what homoletics is, it is the study of preaching, basically. The Festival of Homoletics basically amounts to the mainline protestant preacher's all star weekend. Annually they gather to hear sermons and lectures about sermons. It is explained how great and faithful and meaningful our work is in spite of its frustrations and difficulties. Along with being admonished and encouraged, we are challenged to take it to the next level, preach with beauty, challenge and purpose. Preach the gospel. It is the preacher's equivalent to Emeril's 'Bam!!'

Now, to how I am surrounded.

As I type I am postponing writing my Sunday sermon while at a coffee shop called 'octane'. The curse is I pretty much have it in my head, and it is tedious to get it in print. But, I am surounded at the moment by apple laptops. Until this second apples were ruling my area of the shop, butan IBM just opened behind me to make it 2 IBMs, 6 apples, and 4 other IBM clones. Gmoney is threatening that they will take us over, yet they are the ones finally installing intel chips. So in this shop seems to be a haven for a variety of people with a high concentration of apple lovers and great coffee. Apple people, for the most part, have a keen sense of style and beauty. I am a fan, though not a follower. I was literally born into an IBM family. Big Blue paid lots of bills and old habits are hard to break.

Continuing on this theme, we return to the Festival of Homoletics. This is not a Baptist preachers festival. There are a few of us here who appreciate a different flavor than we have grown up with, but for the most part I am surrounded in worship by methodists, presbyterians, lutheran and UCC ministers. It is good, they are good people, but I am often behind in the liturgy, strange and awkward during the songs, and the culture is completely different. I am surrounded by people who are kindof like me, but not totally. It is a good, safe exercize in being in the minority. Strange, yet novel at the same time.

But, the best example of being surrounded that strangely happend last night. Let me explain.

Monday night upon arrival we consulted TJ (gmoneys college roommate who now lives in atl) about a place for dinner. He suggested la Fonda a cuban/mexican cafe on Peachtree. It is right next to a pizza place I had eaten at before, but TONS better. I had a cuban sandwich which was about like a cheesesteak and was fabulous. The blackbeans and rice were great as well.
Based on his success the night before, we asked TJ about a place last night. After a couple of ideas, he asked if we were interested in wings. We ran 5 miles yesterday so we had earned some wings. Directions were given, then followed to Joes on Juniper in midtown. The hostess like host sat us outside and gave us menus. The high concentration of males was not noticible until gmoney noticed the rainbow flag on the roof of the building. The server had come; wings were ordered; we were in for the long haul. All of the sudden the host fit in and all the 'chick' cars in the parking lot made sense: Punk'd by TJ.

But, the wings were fantastic, the people were polite and they knew we didnt really fit in. So, if I am ever jonesin' for wings when I am in atl, Joes will be in the conversation. We had a great meal and interesting expereince at Joes. It was different to be in a place so out of our element. Fortunately we were not privy to anything explicitly immoral, and we are left only with the need to repay TJ, all in good fun. Hope you had a laugh over this, we did.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com