open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

3.06.2006

thoughts for this week


I didnt get to watch the Oscars last night but I am glad to hear that Crash won the award for best picture. It was the only Best Picture nominee I have seen but in a year with so many films that confront Homosexuality, I think the issue of racism might be better served through the victory.

I really liked Crash, but not because it was fun or inspirational, but becuase it was thought provoking and challenging to me personally. As much education as I have had in issues of race and racial reconciliation (which actually is not much, a handfull of lectures and a couple of semester-long classes, but is hundreds of times more than most people who didnt go to Duke Divinity School) it seems to me that this is an area that needs work that might be productive. The radical Christian right will never buy in to homosexual tolerance and the radical fringe left may never move an inch in a more moderate direction, but almost all of us can agree that we need to not be racist.

Crash is not for children or even youth age. College students might benefit from this film. Adults should take the time to watch it and think about it.

In other news

Well, it can't get any worse, I don't think, for us Duke fans. We finish the season with 2 losses in a row to Fla. State and UNC. Saturday's game was terrible and we still had a chance to pull out victory. Nobody for Duke played really well and it was frustrating to watch the team struggle like that. But, 5 days off will be good and now we are hoping for a 9 game win streak. This would mean an ACC championship and an NCAA championship. It probably won't happen, even the odds are not in favor of it, but you know how my brackets will be filled out.

Also, I predict that Gonzaga will be the #2 seed in the bracket that Duke is a #1 seed in, which will probably be the Atlanta region. I think the committee would like to see JJ play Adam Morrison. The snag in this plan is it would not be a favorable draw for a west coast team to have to play in the elite 8 in Atlanta and the Zags have had a great season. So, dont be suprised if the Zags are out west and the Devils are here in the east, but it will be some 'strategery' on the part of the NCAA selection committee if they go with the plan that I have put forth.

Finally
Looking forward to a good week at church this week. I have several evening meetings this week. Thursday I plan to snowboard once more. Hanging out at the Coffee shop on Wednesday afternoon and I might try to get to some Mount Airy Sports events. Friday I am beginning to plan to watch the DUKE game at Pandowdy's during the lunch hour, or Ted's chicken. I might try to find someone to watch the games with. Here are your invitations: Watch the game with me on Friday and/or come to the mountains with me on Thurs, or we could go Saturday, or Maybe even next monday or Thursday. It will be a slushy, snow melting event, but tons of fun before it is time to move the board to the back of the closet and the golf clubs to the front.

Grace and peace to all of you who read this, even though you dont comment.

peace
aho

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com