open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

3.01.2006

HERE COMES.......lent


Well, here we are, the Christian season of lent. We got all of our gluttony and indulgencing done during Mardis Gras - fat/shrove Tuesday - and now we enter the penetential season of lent. During this time we engage in discipline and fasting from the happy happy joy joy things of life in order to humbly and 'nakedly' go to the cross with Jesus. The season of fasting and desparation will gave way to the joy and bewliderment of resurrection on Easter Sunday and the infancy of the church climaxing on the Pentecost, 50 days after Easter.

So here we are, given the simple task of removing things from life the inhibit our ability to expereince God in order to be fully to expereince God breaking through life as we know it once again by resurrecting.

This season is also known as the season where people give up things that are close to them in order to sacrifice. In that spirit, I am introducing some discipline into life that will, in a way, be self serving, but will force some discipline on me that dose not come naturally. And, in the spirit of full disclosure, here is what I am doing and YOU can hold me to it:

no sex for lent....

















just kidding, that was just in a movie trailer a few years ago, never saw the film, but it looked interesting though a bit crude.

So, for real:
Bedtime is now 11pm: that is a big deal for a night owl like me, and 11pm on the east coast is 10pm in the central time zone.
Wake up time is now early enough to get the the gym and have prayers from my book, A Guide to Prayer for All God's People, of which I consider myself one, before work.
The only exception is when Duke basketball is on, or Natalie is up with me on the weekend, but the workout still must happen.
Reading a Book a week during lent. This will keep me from the tv a bit and will expand my mind. Most of the books will come from my library and the first on the list is Jimmy Carter's new book. Also on the list will certainly be American Vertigo, Re-imagining Prayer- which I have been carrying faithfully in my bag for months, and some fiction.
Finally, and this may be the hardest, No fancy blended expresso drinks. So, no Latte, Mocha, Cabellero Coffee from Common Grounds, Mochajava from Port City Java, Vanilla Latte from Cup a Joe, Winter White Latte from Moby's, or Creme Brule Latte from the Good Life Cafe. This is probably a bit self serving, but also a sacrifice. It will cut some calories from the diet and spending from the budget, but it will certianly cut lots of pleasure from the afternoon. No exceptions here and I am considering sacrificing cream and sugar from my coffee next year, but one step at a time.

Now, whatever your sacrifice, let me know and I will be in prayer for you as you journey towards the cross. I pray that God will richly bless you in this season of sacrifice and the you will expereince the joy of resurrection in 7 weeks after we expereince:

Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust, from dust you have come, to dust you will return, repent and beleive the Gospel.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com