open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

3.28.2006

Aholand news

It is amazing to me how fast the last 9 days have gone. I have not taken the time to do many things I should, but still, the things that must be done have piled on the keep me pleny busy.

I am issuing an apology to myself and all Duke fans for being Jimmy McJinxey who caused the Devils to prematurely lose to LSU and ending our season completely. It was a sad weekend, but the George Mason Victory over ConnU was redemption in a small way.

Over the past several weeks, we have been dealing with conversations regarding contemporary and traditional worship. I struggle with this so much becuase contempory/emergent worship at UBC has been so important to me, yet I have come to love and appreciate a high church/liturgical style. These arguments are usually messy and often not really discussions about theological identity, but about personal preference. The problem is, in these discussions, opinions are often called wrong, when it can't really be wrong, it is an opinion. The Nilator has also pointed out to me that most of these discussions are not actually about worship, rather they tend to be political discussions. The politics of worship, rather than the practice of worship.
After all of this, I come to my local Christian radio. I sometimes listen a little, but lately, I have been listening a little more due to the aformentioned discussion. I have found that not only is the music not really my style, but theologically, the music is lacking. I have yet to hear someone talk about God in the way God talks about him/her self, in the context of 'I am.' We certainly hear about the sin God has delivered us from, yet I am still a sinner, and the great spiritual makeover that has happened, but what about what God is actually doing, like being I AM. I don't know, maybe that is too open ended for most people. Or maybe since it is not completely personal, the arent interested. I could be wrong.

Finally, I am currently reading How Soccer Explains the World. It is pretty good so far, and this whole soccer gang/hoodlum thing is interesting and makes Oakland Raider Nation look like a civic organization. I am also seriously considering a book club based on books that have been featured on The Daily Show. I am interested in American Vertigo, among others. If you are interested in joining, let me know. I think this might go somewhere.

Snowboarding is done for the season, now I am trying to decide if I want to be the pastor who wears JosABank but also rides a skateboard. If it could be ministry, it would be fun, but at 29 and 80 lbs over my former skating weight (when I was 12), I am not sure if this is the best move. Hurry up winter, come back to the southeast....


watching relevantTV in aholand...
aho


|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com