open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

1.19.2006

My must list, whats on yours???

These days, everyone has there must list. Oprah, Cold Pizza, and E! is where I get some of my best pop culture info. But this list is my MUST LIST, the ChrisList, if you will. I dont really know where this comes from or why, with all the things to spend time and energy on, I am promoting more consumption, but here is the stuff.

INTERNET STUFF


If you have a job that involves a computer, desk, and can access the internet, you need to check out Relevant TV. It is videos and music from the good folks over at relevant who you should get to know through their books and magazine as well. I usually launch the popup player and use it as background music for the day when working at my desk.


COFFEE ISSUES

I have been a coffee drinker for aobut 6 years now, Grad School has a way of bringing up some strange addictions. But, after I was able to wean myself from the caffinated hot choclate they call 'mocha,' I was just a regular cream and sugar drip coffee guy. I got the ritual down pretty good and even got a cool stainless coffee maker that looks nice on the counter and has an auto shut off.

But, since the discovery of Caffene, the gratest thing to happen to my coffee experience is this little $25 machine called a FRENCH PRESS. Simply put, if you like coffee and don't yet have one, seriously consider going to Starbucks right now and dropping $25+tax. You will also want a bean grinder and some whole beans (right now I am using some Starbucks Christmas blend). There is no need to spend $30 on the Staubucks grinder though. You can pick up a Black and Decker with an auto timer setting thing for about $20 at your local box store.
Now I understand I have just told you to drop everything and spend $50 on your next sup of coffee, but this will definitely be the best $50 cup of coffee you will ever have, and since the first cup was $50, the next 200 will be free.
The French Press makes a great, frothy, thick, and smooth cup of coffee. It is a bit of a mess to clean up, but ask anyone who has used one, it is worth the mess.

Television Obsession

I went to Duke (the Divinity school, which is pretty liberal most of the time) so I know that TV is bad for me. It makes me fat, lazy, and doesnt challenge me like a book would, but they haven't put BOSTON LEGAL in book form yet. If you a fan of the One Hour Drama, this show is worth checking out. The relationship between Shatner and Spader is fantastic and just about every show ends with two friends having a meaningful conversation on the balcony after a long day. The most interesting thing is that Spader's character is a bleeding heart liberal and Denny-Crane, Shatner, is a card, and pistol, carrying NRA member.


Surfing



If you use the internet, which presumably you do since you are here, and are skeptical of 'the man,' then you gotta upgrade from microsoft internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. It is easy to use, it prevents spy ware, and has this cool, 'Ctrl T' thing that allows you to open several windows in one browser. I find it useful, some find it redundant. But, we have made the switch and think you should too.


Productivity

Ok, it may be a total farse for me to state the reason I got a Treo 650 is productivity, but it is really productive for those of you who need this type of thing. For me, it is the size of a regular iPod, but will play music from my SD card, hold my calendar, allow me to type memos, play games, search for a phone number in the interet, check my gmail, hotmail or yahoomail, store my complete address book, and OH YEAH make and take phone calls, and shoot short videos and take pics. This is the do it all of electronic devices and there are some great deals on the 650 right now. It is a little bluky, but not as bulky as carrying around your phone, ipod, calendar and digital camera for that quick funny shot. It has been alot of fun and should be the last phone I buy that doesnt have a kitchen sink in it.



Conclusion.
These are some cool things I have come accross lately. Let me know what you think, or what cool stuff I have left off. GO DUKE, 17-0.
peace
aho

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com