open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

1.12.2006

my dcb wish list


I have been thinking for a while about some things that I would like for the David Crowder Band to do. I know this will probably have little effect on what they actually do decide to do, and that some of these things (with a little cash up front) I could actually make happen, but for your pondering and enjoyment here is what I am hoping for in 2006.
One brief note. I have not talked to anyone about these things, so if they are in the works, I didnt get the memo, please don't pick on me for it.

1. A real LIVE Concert CD.
For years, the folks at passion have been putting out these compliation cds with 5 matt redmon songs, 5 chris tomlin songs, 3 charlie hall songs, and a token from the david crowder band. What we really need (and lets be honest, it will sell) is one of those Dave Matthews style, 2 disk, live cd concert things. They could even package it with a dvd that louie's nephew (I dont even know if he has one, hopefully this is not a sore spot) shot with a digital-8 camcorder. We would all pony up $22-$26 for it and we wouldnt even hold it against the pre-order crowd if there wasnt some new guitar picks thrown in.

2. Mayberry Weekend
Now this one would have little effect on those of you not here in the appalachian foothills of North Carolina, but it would be great for us folks here in the one of the bluegrass capitals of the east. I am thinking a two night stand here in the quaint town of Mount Airy.
One night the band would rock the amphitheatre to a sold out crowd, filled partly with strange christian kids from the mountains of nearby virginia and WV. The coolest thing about this concert would be that there would definitely be about 100 candidates for the 'mullet of the week' award that often appears connected to the band's site.
The second night, we would bring the show indoors. I am thinking about either 100 people in the local coffee shop or winery, or in the Andy Griffith Theatre for a 'Storytellers' type of evening. Those of us who know Dave at all know of his ability to tell a great story. This would be a classic and possibly a night to film and put on that DVD to go with the CD set.

3. Another CD
I know it takes a while to channel the creative juices and parse everything out to create and album, but we are always ready for a now album. The frustrating thing is that it will probably be Feb. of 2007 til we get one if SIXSTEPS keeps the same pace it has had since Can You Hear Us?.

4. Christmas EP
What would be better than the group release a limited edition EP (shorty dise 6-9 songs) at the end of October to kick off the holiday season right. (iTunes exclusive would also be a legitimate option).
Here are a few of the songs I would suggest. 1. a thanksgiving song of some sort. something with the playfulness of 'Turkish Delight" but with the potential of Adam Sandler's 'Turkey Song.' If anyone can do it, dave, jack, and solley can. 2. a reprise of the 'Christmas Belles' from the website this year. 3. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen- Just update my favorite version that the BareNaked Ladies did a few years ago with Alanis Morrisette (spelling?). 4. This is a must...A version of the Longfellow Hymn, 'I heard the bells on Christmas day.' Every time I hear this and sing it, Dave's voice is what I hear in my head and I cant remember if I have heard him sing it, or it is just perfect for him and the band. 5. The rest of the CD would be up to the band and hopefully their creativity would provide some excellent direction.

5. Rolling Stone Respect
I know I am biased, but this is one of the most innovative bands around. The stuff that DBC does is always a year or two ahead of other people and the music is of a quality far beyond most of the mainstream crap that fills the pages each month. Why does Ashleeeee Simpson (who didnt used to spell it Ashleeee, it was ashley) get more face time that someone who actually has talent? Mysteries of the world I guess. But people need to hear the music and think about the theological and philosophical project that has been undertaken. It is worth thinking about, christian or not.


Conclusion
That there is my DCD wish list. Maybe some of it will come true. I look forward to seeing the band several times this winter-spring and I hope you all get to do the same.


Finally, on a skeptical note:
I noticed Chris Tomlin has a live CD out. I went to church with his bass player Jesse Reeves when we were in High School and I like the band's music alright. But, did anyone else notice the striking resemblence between the cover art of Tomlins cd and Pats Green's Lucky One's Cd?

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com