open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

9.15.2005

nightline???



I happened to catch nightline on abc last night. I usually opt for the pillow, spanish channel, or Leno and Letterman, but I turned it on to see what the topic was and they were celebrating BB King's 80th birthday. It was a great interview protrayal of his story as a kid from the Mississippi Delta who forged his own way and type of music.

One of my best college memories is of a night my friend Ben (of makebenfair.blogspot.com) and I got to go to an Austin Bluesfest. I won free tickets one morning while listening to the BEAR 102.5 while I was waking up in my dorm room in Penland Hall. We got to go see Stevie Ray Vaughan's brother Jimmy Vaughan, BB King and many others. It was fantastic.

I didnt really know what I was hearing at the time though. I was raised on oldies and country music. No one in my family was really into the blues and my dad has very ecclectic taste in music, which is actually good i think. I remember thinking at the time that I was possibly even a little bored witht he concert, but I knew I was seeing legends and needed to hang in there.

Now, I wish I could go back. I dont really know the song better, but I have a much better appreciation for the musicians abilities as artists. I would love to hear that concert again, but I was really glad to hear it the first time. I am thankful to the bear for the free tix and to ben for going with me and bringing me along in the music. peace

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com