open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

1.27.2005

recovery



About three years ago I walked into a salon that would hange the life of my hair forever. I had gotten a cut while in Tx over the christmas holiday, and, wanting something different and trendy, my friend Marilyn, tried to set me on the path of the shag from the 70's. While this was cool on some people, it was mulletlike for me.

I gave the shag about 6 weeks, (5 weeks longer than i should have), and then needed a cut. I walked into CRAZY COMBS, thinking I would hit a trendy barbershop and got a real salon. I knew I was out of my league from the beginning.

Wanting to salvage what I thought would be a $100 mistake, I was hoping to get one of the attractive ladies to cut my hair. It is almost always better for a girl to cut a guys hair, especially in a salon. But, just my luck, I ended up with the Elvis looking guy in the back. I though I was doomed.

I returned an hour later for my appt. and moved to the back of the trendy, eccentric salon, and sat in shannon's chair, wishing he were a girl.

The conversation changed through various topics quickly, with me never quite being able to get anything out, but being thouroughly amused and intersted in what shannon was taling about. He seemed to cover religion, philosophy, eccentric politics, sectarian movements, and he was currently reading the book, James, Brother of Jesus.

I left with a great, skater/50's inspired haircut, and had spent on of the best hours of my life in his chair. A month later, I went back, and the topics were different, yet the same. This has gone on for about three years now.

BUT, shortly after Thanksgiving, I called Atomic (his new salon), to set up an appt. I was briefly told Shannon would be out for 3-6 months. I asked for Jennifer, and she told me about his testicular cancer. It was found over Thanksgiving.

Since then he has been undergoing treatment and I have been trying to keep up with him through jennifer and the salon. Our interests in philosophy led natalie and I to buy him a copy of The Essential Kierkegaard. I tried to deliver it to him at Duke Hospital last week, but we just missed each other.

Today, I was supposed to see jennifer at 5pm, but got a call around lunch checking if i would like for shannon to cut my hair, I agreed of course.

It was one of the best hours of my week. Todays topics were Kierkegaard's eccentricities, and Hitler's ideologies-good and bad.

I am thankful for shannon who challenges my boundaries. He allows me to be the christian I am and he doesnt change who he is becuase he is cutting the preachers hair. I am thankful his treatment is going well, only one Chemo round left.

I am hopeful that you have someone in your life like shannon. he challenges me and opens my eyes, yet conveys love through his joy and presence. He is off the wall, but that is what makes him great.

I have put his bio below, enjoy it. and support cancer reserach, for guys and girls alike. wear pink and yellow.




Shannon Lamm

Home base: Raleigh, NC
Inspired by '50s hotrods and punk rock music, Goldwell guest artist Shannon Lamm is the cutting edge of classic styles. Super-charged hair color knows no boundaries when it is coupled with his fuel-injected flair. Shannon doesn't follow the trends - he sets them. It shows through in his two outrageously cool salons, located in North Carolina, which are more like hang outs since they feature the works of local artists and bands. Shannon is stimulated by the extraordinary and encourages stylists with the freedom to create blazing designs in hair coloration and cutting.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com