open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

12.10.2004

instead of tv

I am blogging instead of watching letterman or leno, (I dont have cable). I seem to have been spiritually challenged today. (the fact that I should be most days but avoid or miss it should not inhibit you ability to read and expereince this challenge too, if it is for you)

I have made reservations for 3 apartments at Showshoe resort for three nights in January. We are going to take some of our church's college students to ski at the best mountain on the east coast. The problem is that I am now locked in to about $600 of deposits and I am depending on 8-10 students to come through. I definitely trust these kids, or young adults, but as we all remember, college world where I deal with them is much different than home world, where the money comes from.

In a way I feel like I took a step of faith though. I know there will be more steps to take in the future, I can see that some big ones will probably be coming in the next 6-8 months. This silly reservation process made me more nervous than any other reservation I have ever made for church, and I actually make lots of them.

I was pointed to Mary and Joseph as I reflected on my anxiety. I knew that this could be the most fun I have ever had as an adult on a ski trip. I also knew that taking the step into the commitment was one of the more difficult decisions I have made regarding trips and youth ministry.

Mary and Joseph had it hard. I bet they had a little anxiety. But, they managed to step in to the "great wide open" and overcome anxiety. The result of their faithfulness has changed the world.

Now, I know some $2400 ski trip for 10 wont change the world, but I am thankful that I will bring joy to my world. I hope it will be a blessing to the students who are able to ski and live together for 4 days. I am thankful to be reminded that the steps we take in faith often lead to a great wide open that we could not have anticipated. I think I am more prepared today for a big step of faith than I was yesterday.

PS. that did not come out nearly as cool as it worked in my head, but it works anyway.
Peace this advent.

Check out following the star for advent devotionals

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com