open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

12.02.2004

down the road

I took the GRE today, what a whip of an exam. They put you up in this cubical with an old computer and you have to write two essays, I had two verbal sections and then a math section. I got my scores, not the essays though, and I think I did ok. In the interest of privacy I am not going to share my scores here and I am also not fully sure what I will do with them, but there are only a few possibilities.

It seems the "emergent church" is on the minds of many in christian publishing circles this month. (actually it was on their minds a few months ago and we have now finally got it, but who's counting) Emergert as a noun or adjective, was on the cover of Christianity Today and of the Christian Century. The CT article was OK, more about name dropping and an attempt to critique a "trend" church. CT has no real right to talk about trendy if you ask me, but that could be the white russian talking. The Century article was better but is a bit harder to come by. It seems to me, if this group is going to be viable and last across the long haul, it will have to be more about ways of thinking and beginning to deliniate those thoughts in constructive ways and not just abstractly about the new world beyond modernity. I know we are moving into new thought frontiers, but we must do so and bring other with us as well. We must assist in translating the message and the new language.

What I have found exciting about all of the writing that has been done abou emergent is that most of the reading and thinking that is going on is very similar to what I have spent the last four years of my life doing at Duke. I read Brueggemann for OT, theology and preaching, and I read and wrote on Grentz's Bryond Foundationalism before it showed up as recommended reading for emergent. I know this is tooting my own horn, but everyone of you quit reading long ago, except for my wife of course.

It is intersting what is going on with Guys like McLarens and his 'crew.' I think they are being faithful and far from the left feild that many have put them in. For those who are still calling themselves Southern Baptist and are sending their money to Nashville, either you or emergent are in left field, depending on your point of view, but it seems to me that emergent is tapping into mainling progressive thinking.

Thats my take and I never intended to get here from the GRE but it has been a long week. Christmas is coming though, so is an updated blog. peace
aho

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com