open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

10.27.2004

theme for the day

Today's theme was humility. It is never something you pick out for a day, rather it is a theme that emerges through the events of particular day. Today, I chose to embrace it especially since I knew the Sox had game three tonight and I might get really humbled by the Cardinals.

But, humility emerged as something I should think about and live out today, so I tried and I hope it went well for everyone else.

Finally, though, as I realized that this was going to be something I would have to deal with today, I was reminded of my favorite humility story, here it is:

A very good friend of mine was invited to be a part of the Mr Collins Hall Pageant when we were freshman at Baylor (Spring of 96). He was nominated by a great hall of girls and performed extremely well. As a pledge class we were all proud of him and glad to spend the evening at Collins Hall with some girls instead of returning Scarface to Love Video in Lorena. (Which we did do for Jason Smith and his roommates at one point, and it definitely was Scarface, not something else).

But back to humility. In the finals of the competitions was the conversation portion of the pageant. He was asked questions as was his opponent, who we will call the "Cheeze-ball." His final question was "what is one of your best qualities?"

My friend thought for a few seconds, and then, with the deepest, most honest sincerity possible, he said: "I'm humble."

This was a brilliant move and an honest and true statement about himself. He was humble and the best thing he could do for himself was to not talk about it but let it show through in his life. It was also brilliant because the other guy said something like "I have nice eyes and I get my hair cut often." This meant that "Cheeze-ball" would win the Mr Collins Hall pageant and my friend would be lost in oblivion as only the runner-up, which was the first best place to be. No one really wanted to go down as the winner except for the big cheeze.

My friend reads this blog and can reveal himself if he wants to. I wont tell here though.

And finally, How would I have answered the question: I can tell a really funny story, really poorly.

thanks for reading

PS.
I am really excited that the Red Sox are now only one game from their first title in 86 years. I know as good as anyone that it is not over yet, but we really are close. I am only disappointed that it means that my friend Tom's (Not in Mr Collins Hall) team will have to be the team on the other side. He is a true fan as well and the Cards are a great team with great players and had a phenomenal year. And if I cant have Jesus in centerfield, I would want Jim Edmunds.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com