open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

4.26.2004

up to date

I just want to get you (both of you) up to date on some recent happenings in my life.
I have finished the bulk of my work to complete the final semester in my Master of Divinity program at Duke Divinity. It was terribly busy and stressful last week so I blogged to free my mind but had no real commitment to maintaining consistency with it. The two papers i completed on friday were as titled: "A Missionary in The Matrix" and "Hollywood's Haiti: A view of Haiti from the Big Screen." I am pleased with them both, I accomplished what I wanted to with them. the missionary paper is 15 pages about Morpheous and how he fits the historical stereotype of American Missionaries to foreign lands, as well as, how these expereinces of his are pretty typical. The Haiti is an exploration of major feature films that were set in or deal with Haiti. It is interesting, but reflects the reality that I only had about 20 hours put into it.
We left for our first and probably last staff retreat as a church staff on Friday afternoon and had a great time eventhough our leader and pastor Jack was not able to attend. We missed him, but the kids had fun.

On to the food:
I have been thinking about putting together a series of things as lists for the blogspot and the food one came first becuase it was easier. The one I really want to do will come soon and will focus on the Christian retail industry. For now, I will complete my listings of my favorite foods.


Bojangles is a regional chain of restaurants serving cajun/southern style fried chicken. It is definitely a love/hate type of place. For those of you who have never eaten at one, it is like popey's (spelling?) times 10. (sorry ben). The chicken is good, but the chicken fillet biscuit combo is amazing. It is a biscuit with a cajun seasoned chicken breast. It comes with your choice of side, fries and coke if it is lunch time, potato cakes and coffee if it is breakfast. It is the kind of meal that you can eat twice a day, and though it leads to a shortened lifespan, it is totally worth it.



I actually do eat healthy food though you cant really tell sometimes. When it comes to salad, there is a tie for first between Olive Garden's salad and Outback's side salad with tangy Tomato dressing. For flavor, I go with the outback and if you like red dressings, this is the one for you. But lately the takeout salads at outback have gotten a little skimpy so we are exploring the Olive Garden as well. This is definitely an old standby and you cant go wring with dinner for two of salad and breadstick for less than $10 and usually you can get a free coke while you are waiting.



In my book, no better way to start the morning (if whoopie is not an option). You cant go wrong. I know that the Krispy Kreme argument enters the discussion at this point (sorry Tom), but for my money and pleasure, a boston kreme and toasted coconut with a large coffee with cream and sugar is just the best way to start the day. My problems with krispy kreme are due only to the intense pleasure they bring. I have had a hot KK donut and once you have that fresh one for free, the standard is too high. you have one, then another, and then, against your better judgement, you want to have another. I can get sick too quickly. But is is so worth it sometimes.
BUT, for day to day pleasure, as far as donuts goes, DD coffee is the place. (ps. i rarely get the donuts with the coffee, mostly just the coffee).
And, here is one last time for Dunkin Donuts. If you have a choice, go to the older shop. The stuff is just better and usually cheaper too. I Have two different shops on my way and the old one is better and the coffee is 40 cents cheaper too. Plus the lady behind the counter has a lot more character.

Thanks for reading.
peace

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com