open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

1.28.2004

Why


I have wanted to ask these questions for a while and I ask them sincerely. I respect your opinions, at least those of you who acknowledge who you really are.
Why does everyone say that they are "over" Dave Matthews?
I know that he is still making music that sound like it did in 1995 but other bands like the dead never changed either.
There is continuity in the sound of any band that last for a long time.
What I really like about his music is the way that he deals with ideas of faith and life. Much of his music deals with
issues of race wrongdoing, and our spiritual lives. Don't drink the water reminds us of white conquest of indians and
african tribes. Another song states "now you are nailing God to a tree and saying FORGIVE ME, FORGIVE ME!!" yeah
like only every day right? Or what abour Grey Street, someone trapped without meaning and purpose.
I could go on but my mission here is not to convince you, but to pose the question, why are we over songs that ask these questions? I guess I am drawn to the words as much if not more that to the "beat."

Why is it cooler to list music on your blog that is new, and forthcoming, and to list people that are not mainstream yet?
I don't really have time to search out new music, so I end up taking advice from others on who I should try. For example: I thought I was on the cutting edge of this outkast thing only to find out that real rap fans have been listening for 10 years.

Is there anything legitimate on top 40 radio anymore?
It seems like I am going to have to hate everything played on my local Clearchannel (the music devil) station if I want to pretent to be a music connisour. I don't like britney, or seanpaul, or christina, or clay, or rueben, or (insert flavor of the week here) but are they bad music or are we just against they because we dont like machine that turned them out? We don't like lots of stuff that comes out of nashville but we accept Dave Crowder and Shaun Groves..

Finally, I think i am done for now. I have put myself in a meloncholy mood writing this but I just wonder why we can get critized for liking music that is just normal? I like Dave Matthews and always will and I dont think anyone should have to apologize for their tastes in music.
A last note: this blog does not come as a respone to the comments on the blog below, thought it may seem that way. I actually have a mental list of topics I want to blog about and this was on my mind during our recent snowstorm. The comments just gave timelyness to the questions.
grace and peace to you all.


ps. if you are intersted in some thought provoking dm songs from this new album, check out save me and gravedigger, stay or leave is my personal favorite though.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com