open ahos head

where thoughts are worth more than the paper they are printed on... until you print them

Name:
Location: Mayberry, North Carolina, United States

thanks for stopping by. please add to the conversation if you can

1.13.2004

the last second day



Today's title is not because I am sappy or emotional today, I just liked the title of yesterday's blog and thought I would continue.
I am realizing that sometimes, lots of the time I just want to be lazy, like the dude. I like the dude, but he doesnt really exist. I like meaningful work, but sometimes I shy away from that which seems hard. I like the little things in life, Dunkin Donuts coffee, the little time I have with my xBox, real conversations with people i hang out with at church and school, time with Natalie and my dog, and getting interesting things accomplished, BUT, sometimes it is little tasks that overwhelm me and I just keep putting them off. For Example: I am taking about 14 people skiing this weekend. I have to call 3 of them about their personal dimensions for fitting for snowboards. I cant seem to muster up the energy to spend 10 minutes on the phone with them. I have not had time at the right time in the past few days but still, I cant do it. And, as I sit here typing nonsense the guy next to me is intensely studying hebrew, the girl across from me is typing and reseatching and everyone else has a thick book and at least pretending to study. Me, I got up at 9, showered, fed the dog and myself, got DD coffee, came to the reading room and have been checking email, adjusting my fantasy hockey team and blogging now for about 35 minutes. Sure all of this takes time, but I got a book to read. SO, after I finish this blog, I will read Kierkegaard as Religious thinker until about 2pm. THen i will hang with Patrick King and talk about it, then I will go to class with another guy with the last name of king, david king, and we will study about American Missions in history and specifically in China until i Go home to eat dinner and hang with my wife and dog. I will not stay up late tonight if i can help it and will not fall asleep watching tv as is one of my bad habits. OK, 2 more notes below and then i am off.


Kierkegaard

I have been studying some of this guy's works for about 6 months now and he really has some great things to say. I have trouble internalizing it alot, but he always seems to stick stuff in his writing that pushes me into a little bit deeper thought. I recently read this quote of his that I found in the book cited above:
"The doctrine in the established Church and its organization are very good. But the lives, our lives- believe me, they are mediocre."
He was speaking from a 19th century lutheran context in Denmark as a "good lutheran" but it points me to wonder about the way we work our churches and possibly "customize" them for us and for our needs. When we make churches that meet our needs, are we making a church that is mediocre the match our lives? We must never dumb it down to us, but must push our selves up, or better said, let God's grace pull us up into his church.



Basketball

We started Church league basketball in Zebulon last night. the ZBC team has picked up quite a few free agents over the break. We had a smaller team going that had won 4 championships in a row, but due to a fallout over some silly attitude problems, our "Phil Jackson" decided to retire. We had 13 guys last night, resulting in not enough pt to go around. I am going to have a good attitude about it all and hope that I can build some better friendships along the way. I need to not be a baby. Plus, i am dreadfully out of basketball shape. The cardio is there but it seems as though each day I am less and less coordinated. Sucks to get old. anyway congrats to east wake highschooler Heath Brantley who came in for me around the 3 minute mark and had a great steal and bucket as they mounted a 6 point comback with less than 2 minutes to play.

If you have read this whole blog, you are awesome, thanks for putting up with me. If you have skimmed to the end, well you have missed something I am sure.

ps. the bball pic is not of our league, we jump waaaaaay higher than that.

today' dell dj sounds: before these crowded streets, dave matthews

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com